The Department of Mass Communication was established in 2008 along seven other departments in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Taraba State University.
The department admitted its first set of 24 students in 2009/2010 academic session and is expected to graduate in 2013.
It is obvious that the world has been made a global village courtesy of information and communication technologies. This trend has necessitated corresponding changes in the field of communication education. For this reason, the department will continue to review its plans, strategies and curricula to reflect current realities in the field of mass communication in order to make the department and prospective graduates relevant to the Nigerian society and the world at large.
The philosophy of the department is to develop a mass communication training programme in which true professionalism shall be the center piece. A programme in which the graduates shall be well grounded in contemporary theories and studio practice in the areas of print and electronic media so that they could perform effectively in both local and international settings.
The objectives of the programme are as follows:
- To train undergraduates to become professionals in print journalism, radio and television broadcasting and film making.
- To train undergraduates who will become advertising professionals.
- To train undergraduates who will perform well in the public relations sector.
- To stimulate interest in the field of media research.
- To stimulate interest in the comparative study of the Nigerian media and international media.
- Train and inculcate in students the ethics of media practice
Admission Requirements for B.Sc. Mass Communication
The Department of Mass Communication, Taraba State University offers two categories of admissions for students pursuing B.Sc. Mass Communication. These are: Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), Direct Entry (DE).
UTME applicants for admission into four years Degree Programme in Mass Communication should posses SSCE/GCE/NECO/Grade II with at least five credits including English, Mathematics and any three subjects from the Arts and Social Sciences, as well as an acceptable score in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) examination.
Direct Entry applicants for admissions into the three years degree programme in mass communication should possess at least three credits at the GCE (“A” level), Diploma (at least lower credit) and NCE (at least merit level) in relevant field. In addition, the candidate must have five relevant credits at “O” level which must include English, Mathematics, and any three from the Arts and Social Sciences.
Applicants with Diploma in mass communication, Journalism, Information and Communication Technology, Language and Communication Arts, Law, Public Relation, Marketing and Adverting Practices, Radio and Television production will be preferred.
Graduation Requirements for B.Sc. Mass Communication
- Title of degree: B.Sc. Mass Communication
- Requirements for the Award: A student shall qualify for the award of
B.Sc Mass Communication when he/she has;
- Completed and passed all the courses registered.
- Obtained a minimum total credit earned (TCP) of 146.
- Obtained a minimum cumulative GPA of 1.00
- Met other requirements as might be specified from time to time.