BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF RELIGIOUS STUDIES
The history of this department began from the vision for the desire to have a University in Taraba State. This was because of the growing numbers of candidates coming out from secondary schools and others tertiary institution. The vision was consolidated, actualized and implemented during the administration of Governor. Danbaba Danfulani Suntai in 2008.
The approval certification and take off of the university was given by the national university commission.
The Department of Religious Studies is one of the pioneer departments that began at the inception of the university in 2008. The introduction of the remedial programme gave birth to the pioneer under-graduate students of the 2009/2010 session.
The department stated with a pioneer academic staff Mallam Haruna Dahiru who took over from Dr. Johnson Agbo of the political science who acted as the head of the department. Mallam Abdullahi Yusuf took over from Mallam Haruna Haliru in 2010 and then Rev. Faith Iliya Esthons took over from Mallam Abdullahi Yusuf Usman in 2011 as coordinator.
The department has 100, 200 and 300 level students.
THE PHILOSOPHY OF B.A. CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES
The establishment and development of B.A Christian Religious Studies is in view of the fact that Taraba state has a large number of Christians. It is believed that the programme will reflect the reality and diversity of the Christian community. The programme is intended to create awareness and give moral foundation to Christianity and also to give the understanding of the historical development of Christianity.
The B.A Christian Religious study is an academic as well as morally and spiritually designed programme for professionalism to broaden the horizon of students for broad- based theological education. The graudates of this programme will be qualified to serve in various positions where they can provide moral conscience to their environment and places of work, the ability to lead people and interact and cooperate with people of other faith.
Graduates of the programme will be qualified to undertake post- graduate programmes to qualify as theologians, public servants and church leaders. Furthermore, it is design to accommodate o’level candidates, with the required credit for admission into Nigerian universities, NCE holders, and holders of Diploma in Christian Religious Studies to obtain a first degree.
- ADMISSION REQUIREMENT
There are two types of degree programmes. There is the 4 years degree programmes and 3 years degree programmes
- The four (4) year degree programme has an entry minimum requirement of five cr5edit including English Language, C.R.S, or I.R.S, History, Mathematic and two other relevant arts subjects in not more than two sitting. Candidate must possess the require UME score as prescribed by Jamb into Nigerian Universities.
- The three (3) years degree programme admitted candidates who must have posses the following;
- Five credit including English Language, CRS or IRS, Mathematics, History and any other arts related subject
- Upper credit in NCE with a pass in two principal subject
- A three year diploma in theology, Religious studies, Islamic studies from any institution recognized by the university with at least 3 credits at GCE level including English Language.
- Diploma programme in distance learning
- REQUIRED CREDIT UNITS FOR GRADUATION
- Student who are on a 4 year degree programme must score a minimum of 144 total credit unit or a maximum of 199
- Direct Entry students for the 3 yeas degree programme must score a minimum of 103 credit unit or a maximum of 144
- Students are to take elective in relevant courses in other department to make up their units.
PHILOSOPHY OF B.A. ISLAMIC STUDIES PROGRAMME
Islam is one of the major religions of Nigeria and one of the largest religions in the world. Islam provides the moral and social foundation for hundreds of millions of people in the world today. Whereas a generation ago, Islam was overshadowed by the religions of the western world, globalization is bringing Islam more and more to the attention of the world as a whole. Consequently there is a need for a clear presentation of Islam. Islam has a rich literary heritage and it is better practiced with a full understanding of the philosophy behind the kind of relationship man is expected to have with his creator. The Islamic Studies Programmme is a detailed step-by-step analysis of the history, philosophy and tenets of the religion. The idea is to ensure that what distinguishes Islam from other belief systems and makes it not just a religion but a comprehensive way of life is properly explained.
Islam has a rich literary heritage and it is better practiced with a full understanding of the Philosophy behind the kind of relationship man is expected to have with his Creator. The Islamic
The programme essentially locates the relevance of the religion to modern thoughts and philosophies and examines the effect of its demands on the individual and the society in the material.
The philosophy in the Islamic Studies Unit is to develop the human mind by instilling in it the noble traits of Islam that would make man responsible and useful to himself and the humanity, believing that such development will be the catalyst for ideological, socio-economic and political rejuvenation that is needed particularly in this millennium. The Department shall promote Islamic learning, for northern Nigeria is known, by teaching and research, and participate in finding, solutions to multi-dimensional problems confronting humanity and the Muslims in particular.
The Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies, being a component part of Taraba State University, has the overall realization of the Mission and vision of the University as its main objective. In particular, it has the following objectives:
- To acquaint the students with the broad outlines of Islam as a religion and culture.
- To prepare the students to understand Islam as a culture and civilization.
- To describe Islam to the students according to its own sources (particularly the Qur’an and the Sunnah of the Prophet).
- To maintain a rigorous scholarly approach to the problems of contemporary Muslim communities with particular reference to Nigeria.
- To place Islam in the context of other world religious traditions especially those that relate to Islam.
- It is a programme meant to prepare students to appreciate and dialogue with other faith
- To prepare candidates that would adequately serve the staffing needs of schools and colleges in Nigeria and beyond ;and
- To produce better quality intellectuals, professionals and scholars by integrating the qualities of faith (Iman),knowledge (ilm) and character (Aklaq) to serve as agents of comprehensive and balanced progress as well as sustainable development in Nigeria and the world at large.
4 Year Degree Programme
- Five credit at the Senior Secondary School Certificate, one of which must be in Islamic Religious Knowledge or Grade II teachers’ Certificate with five Merits in relevant subjects including Islamic Studies.
3 Year Degree Programme
Candidates for this programme shall possess five credit passes in SCCE,NECO,GCE or equivalents of which at least three shall be at advanced level provided that such any other post-secondary diploma whose course duration is three years may be considered for entry into a Three-year Degree programme. In addition all candidates must obtain credit in English at the Senior Secondary School Level or its equivalent.
DURATION OF PROGRAMME
The duration of Bachelor of Islamic Studies is as follows:
- For a four Year Programme the minimum duration for graduation should be four academic sessions and the maximum of six academic sessions.
- For a Three-year programme the minimum duration for graduation should be three academic sessions.
Students undergoing a four-year Degree programme are expected to register and earn a minimum of 120 credit units. Students on a three-year Degree programme should attain a minimum of 90 credit units in order to qualify for graduation. Failure to the credit units mentioned in either case necessitates spill over. Similarly Students without credit in Islamic Studies at SSCE Level or equivalent should register and pass.